Author: Ian Ferguson [The Northern Light]
Local mariners are working to restore a wooden fishing boat that would be one of the last of its kind in working order.
The vessel, a 29-foot Columbia River salmon boat, was built in Astoria, Oregon in 1906 for the Alaska Packers Association’s (APA) Diamond NN Cannery in Naknek, Alaska. Trident Seafood Corporation, which operated the Diamond NN Cannery, recently donated the well-used vessel to Drayton Harbor Maritime (DHM), which runs the APA Museum on Semiahmoo spit where another Columbia River salmon boat from the same cannery resides.
Work on the boat is being performed by DHM director Richard C. Sturgill, Jake Jacobson, Steve Alaniz, Graham Hunter and others. Norm Walsh, owner of Walsh Marine on Marine Drive in Blaine, has set aside space for the restoration.
Click here to read more.